Tuesday, February 2, 2010

A conversation with WBC? I don think so

The Westboro Baptist Church, or cult, focus their own values around the teachings of the Bible. Well, for them the teaching of the bible makes them preach against the "ungodly" acts of divorce, fornication, remarriage, and homosexuality. They firmly believe that the universal beliefs that "God loves everyone" and "Jesus died for our sins" are inaccurate assumptions formed by people who do not read the Bible. Their values begin with the claim that "God Hates America" and it is up to them to preach the appropriate ways of the Bible and to clean those with ever-dying souls. Their offensive picketing is seen at military funerals, gay pride parades, and at terrorist attacks. They belief that God is punishing America by killing troops in Iraq for their commitment to an evil nation. Sadly, these protests include small children who are mindfully being brainwashed into the same values and beliefs as their elders have installed on them since 1955.

As for me? Well, I cringe at the very thought of the Westboro Baptist Church. I grew up learning respect and tolerance as values. On the religious side of things, I never experienced church as a child and did not know the "teachings of the Bible." However, I know what is right from wrong. I think of also the values of the country we live in and the country they claim is evil. The First Amendment gives them every right to do what they are doing, so perhaps this country is doomed for all eternity.

To start a conversation with any one of these people would be like starting a conversation with a banana. Pointless and fruitless, no pun intended. Obviously, they are firm believers in their practices and it would be almost impossible to argue or even start up a friendly conversation without them telling me I am going to hell. I wonder what they believe they have sinned in and if they are saved from Gods wrath?

No comments:

Post a Comment